Saturday, January 25, 2014

Logistics: The disappearing military surplus business.

On Thursday I ventured down I-20 East to Bynum, Alabama for a funeral -- of one more Alabama military surplus business. Over the years I bought a lot of surplus from the old couple who ran this business located just down from the gates of the Anniston Army Depot. This is the second Alabama milsurp business to go tango uniform in the past year and if Darrell at A-A goes to prison that will make three.
When I got there, a high-roller from Tennessee (also in the surplus business) was cleaning the place out. I had to content myself with a dozen universal carrying straps like this one:
A couple of GI mess kits new in the wrapper:
A mismatched set of LC-2 ALICE pack straps (one OD, the other woodland) for a large, new ALICE pack that I picked up at a thrift store the other day for five bucks (w.o. straps and frame). The color won't matter to the newbie that I end up gifting this to, but the fact that I still don't have a frame, waist belt and kidney pad will. Ever try to carry a fully-loaded large ALICE without a frame?

Last but not least I scored a woodland butt pack,
And a woodland MOPP suit bag:
All told, I paid twenty bucks for the lot. I didn't even try to dicker, I was so depressed.

5 comments:

MadDawg308 said...

I miss the days when almost every town had a surplus store. Then it was every county. Now you have to drive a ways to find them. Sigh....

Anonymous said...

Military surplus is being left in country, then it's going to local police departments. Right down to the scrapping of once fired brass, the plan is in full swing - do literally anything to surplus - including destruction- to avoid the American people gaining access.

Some will holler " tin foil " but the reality is indeed stranger than fiction.

Debra J. (Baxter) Stewart said...

Darryl surrendered himself this afternoon, 31-Jan-14 at 2:00 PM. At this point, not sure what will happen with AA Army Surplus, but we haven't given up and the fight continues.

I spoke with him around 11:30 AM and, all things considered, he was upbeat and has a positive attitude. Hoping this mess gets straightened out on the 04-Feb.

Darryl's sister, Deb

Unknown said...

Once upon a time in Darfur i had gone an operation after that i come back to our camp and i saw i have lost my bed then i gone to a shop i have bough another bed. after that i saw on of my friend have bought a bed like a bag.it was amazing easy to carry and flexible. After that time i also bought on of that and i feel comfort with my bed and no way to lost.
Army Surplus

Anonymous said...

I know this is an old post, just stumbled across it, but Darryl has opened back up and it is now FNA surplus. I miss the days when several surplus stores were around the Bham area